Covid-19: WHO makes u-turn on Chloroquine trial
GENEVA – The World Health Organization (WHO) has made a u-turn and is resuming hydrochloroquine trial for treatment of COVID-19 patients.
Last week, WHO Director-General, Tedros Ghebreyesus, announced a “temporary pause” in the solidarity trial of the drug.
However, speaking during a virtual press conference on Wednesday, Tedros said the drug trial will now commence.
According to him, findings by the health agency’s data safety monitoring board, showed that there was no reason to discontinue the trial.
Tedros said the executive group endorsed the recommendation, adding that “all arms of the solidarity trial” will continue.
“The executive group received this recommendation and endorsed continuation of all arms of the solidarity trial, including hydroxychloroquine.
“The executive group will communicate with the principal investigators in the trial about resuming the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial.
“The data safety and monitoring committee will continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in the solidarity trial,” he added.
- Rhapsody Online Conference live stream!! Don’t miss out!! Participate now!!
- Nigerian Graduate Takes to Frying Beans Cake (Akara) Along Roadside as Unemployment Persists
- Collab with Davido almost Made me Bankrupt – Diamond Platinumz
- JAMB to prosecute 200 exam cheats caught in 2020 UTME with N500,000 each
- JUST IN: 18 years old girl set mother ablaze in Benue State