5 Traditional Rulers Suspended By Governor Ortom
ORTOM SUSPENDS 5 TRADITIONAL RULERS IN BENUE
Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State on Monday announced the suspension of five Tiv traditional rulers for their alleged complicity in land related disputes in their domains.
The affected monarchs comprised of two district heads and three kindred heads.
Our correspondent reports that the District Head of Uvir Council Ward of Guma Local Government Area, James Abu, who was among those suspended, was immediately handed over to the Police for further investigation.
Ortom suspends 5 traditional rulers in Benue
Others suspended are, the District Head of Ikov, Samuel Iorhule, Kindred head of Shilagh, Joseph Yar, Kindred head of Uninge, Aanger Ortese and Samuel Ayayo who is the Kindred head of Unyande.ADVERTISEMENT
The latest suspension is coming barely two weeks after the governor suspended three other traditional heads in two LGA of the state following communal crisis in their domains where several lives were lost as villagers engaged themselves over alleged land disputes
Ortom teamed up with the Minister of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Senator George Akume and other prominent sons of Tiv land to ensure the restoration of peace in the warring communities of the tribe across two senatorial districts of the state.
Daily Trust reports that as part of measures to step up the level of security in the state, stakeholders drawn from the Benue North East and West Senatorial Districts further endorsed the formation of committees at the kindred, ward and district levels to assist security agencies in guaranteeing the safety of lives and property.
Speakers at the event held at the Government House in Makurdi, who included, the Tor Tiv, Professor James Ayatse, Senator George Akume, Senators representing Benue North West and Benue North East Senatorial Districts, Gabriel Suswam and Orker Jev respectively, as well as former Senate President, Dr Iyorchia Ayu and Senator Barnabas Gemade, all harped on the need for peace in Tiv land.
They commended the proactive steps taken by Governor Ortom in fighting crime and stated that the security committees would fast-track intelligence gathering at the grassroots where most of those who perpetrate crimes and cause crises among the people resides.
Ortom while briefing journalists shortly after the meeting, directed immediate revival of monthly security meetings at the local government level to support the police and other security operatives with timely and useful information.
The governor added that leaders, irrespective of political affiliation, had resolved to unite against land disputes and other forms of crises, stressing that they had resolved to also provide the desired leadership direction for the people.
Also in attendance at the meeting, were members of the House of Representatives from Benue North East and West, State House of Assembly Members led by the Speaker, Titus Uba, religious and traditional leaders.
What do you think about this? Do you support Governor Ortom?
Drop your comments below or leave a message
- Davido’s hit songs written by Peruzzi that you may not Know
- LYRICS: Mr Kay Banging ft Kizzy C – FOR YOR
- BBNaija 2020: Nengi Shade tears As Ozo Snubs Her(VIDEO)
- Between Olamide “Eru” vs Davido’s “Fem” – Which Song Are You Feeling The Most?
- Latest BBNaija News For Today, Wednesday, 9th September, 2020
- “Dem Dey Do Ju Ju For Naija Music Industry O! “- Samklef Warns Nigerians
- WOW: Burna Boy, DJ Cuppy launch Manchester United’s third kit
- Trump: Killings In Nigeria Not Cultural – CAN Replies Buhari
- BREAKING: Wanted Benue Gang Leader GANA killed (Photos)
- Mr P Set to Drop a New Album “Prodigal” Release Date
- BREAKING: Wanted Benue gang leader, GANA Terwase Agwaza finally surrenders
- BBN 2020: You Complain Like a Girl – Dorathy hits Laycon
- Benue State University Graduate Designs Kiddwaya with Hair[See]